Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Speeding  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Titter

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Titter
  • Bike: 675R & Multi 1200
  • City / Town: Kent
Speeding
« on: August 06, 2019, 09:50:45 AM »
Hearing of lots of people down this neck of the woods (South East) getting caught and fined for doing slightly over 30 in a 30 mph. Watch your speed lads, some people have been nicked doing 33 mph
Over the hill. Loves bikes, music & family. Not necessarily in that order

Offline Teamgreen2

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Newbury
Re: Speeding
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 02:09:00 PM »
I got caught doing 31 by a radar gun, always thought there was a percentage leeway. how wrong I was, luckily just a fine and speed awareness course.

Offline Moto2build

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street triple rs
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 03:13:07 PM »
31 is taking the piss, Id ask to see it calibrated and the accuracy levels
Bet they wouldnt have taken it further!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Moto2build

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street triple rs
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 03:17:45 PM »
Also further adds to my point of sadly these days
Motor biking in and around London/ Surrey on road is dead
Bike thieves everywhere
Road surface is poor at best
Drivers actively trying to kill you and unreasonable police/ traffic management specifically designed to catch you out instead of improve road safety!

That coupled with sky high insurance and road tax have lead to me giving it up and spending my 100 on a day on track
As fast as you like on a great surface, nothing coming the other way and dont need to peer into the hedges looking for cameras!

Online Leebo71

• Street Triple Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 10:59:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Moto2build [+]
Also further adds to my point of sadly these days
Motor biking in and around London/ Surrey on road is dead
Bike thieves everywhere
Road surface is poor at best
Drivers actively trying to kill you and unreasonable police/ traffic management specifically designed to catch you out instead of improve road safety!

That coupled with sky high insurance and road tax have lead to me giving it up and spending my 100 on a day on track
As fast as you like on a great surface, nothing coming the other way and dont need to peer into the hedges looking for cameras!

Good point

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

Offline Beelady

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Steet Triple
  • City / Town: New Romney
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 08:28:43 AM »
I enjoyed my speed awareness course (34 in a 30 limit). Don't tell them you were speeding because it's fun. It doesn't go down well  :001:

Offline bazzer

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 08:51:15 AM »
I have one tomorrow for 56 in a 50 in the van not even on the bike.

Offline 2012StreetT

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Street Triple
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 09:58:22 AM »
I have heard more and more about this lately (I also live in Kent).

Have even started to consider changing my Street Triple to something else, a bike that does 90+MPH in second gear is asking for trouble. As soon as you start having some real fun you're at silly speeds.

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 10:57:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by Teamgreen2 [+]
I got caught doing 31 by a radar gun, always thought there was a percentage leeway. how wrong I was, luckily just a fine and speed awareness course.

The percentage leeway - usually 10% plus two mph - has always been discretionary to individual constabularies and Chief Con's decisions.  I must admit it's the first I've heard of anyone getting done for 31mph in a 30 zone but I'd guess that maybe there's a campaign in a particular area for a "good" reason .... rat run where speeding is commonplace; recent spike in complaints, etc.

It is, I believe, always possible to request proof of calibration and accuracy of the equipment used but it's a long shot for the most part.  The radar and Vascar equipment is usually tested and certified on a scheduled frequency basis.

You've been VERY  unfortunate indeed, and there but for the grace of God ............

Offline Will Morgan

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 765R
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 01:03:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Teamgreen2 [+]

The percentage leeway has always been discretionary so you might have been unlucky. But offering speed awareness courses is also discretionary so count yourself lucky you didn't get points.

It pisses me off that so many things can be "discretionary" = dependent on the area, public or political pressure, or just the personal opinion of the local chief constable. (Remember that one in N.Wales a few years back? He brought the police into disrepute & lost public confidence but continued with his personal vendetta against motorcycles).

It ought to be the same everywhere so we know where we stand..

Recent Posts/Topics