Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Speeding  (Read 980 times)

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
Re: Speeding
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2019, 01:29:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
The percentage leeway has always been discretionary so you might have been unlucky. But offering speed awareness courses is also discretionary so count yourself lucky you didn't get points.

It pisses me off that so many things can be "discretionary" = dependent on the area, public or political pressure, or just the personal opinion of the local chief constable. (Remember that one in N.Wales a few years back? He brought the police into disrepute & lost public confidence but continued with his personal vendetta against motorcycles).

It ought to be the same everywhere so we know where we stand..

Agreed - in fact you've given, knowingly or not, some support for the idea of a single, national police force.  We (the public purse) could then save an enormous amount of money by deleting the roles of more than a few Chief Cons; Assistant Chief Cons and Deputy Chief Cons.  A Chief Con's salary is somewhere between 136k and 190k p.a. and we have, I think, 39 constabulary areas in England.  The unified force area SEEMS to work for Scotland? I assume.   And, as you suggest, it would be a big step towards rationalising the accepted norms for "discretionary" policing priorities and operational procedures.

And "SNAP" ..... you're back in the room ................  :008:   

Now, about that Street Triple .......

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street R 2009
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 02:44:58 PM »
For me, the biggest issue is the disparity in punishment between being caught speeding and killing someone. The fact that a motorcyclist can get jail time for speeding while someone can hit and kill two motorcyclists in one go ("sorry, I couldn't see them") is a bit screwed up in my humble opinion.

I have, through no fault of my own, been hit by cars six times in thirty years riding bikes. Only one of the six that hit me was charged with anything (careless driving). A second was given the choice between careless driving and driver improvement training. The other four, including one who ran a red light into a one way system directly outside a police station and simply drove into me, got away with it. In none of the six cases was either party speeding. In each of the six cases one party was either not paying attention or was doing something contrary to that set out in the highway code. Through a combination of luck and successful defensive riding I have missed a great many more collisions, but alas you don't get browny pints for that, especially when you've just been pulled over for something and you're getting the most patronising lecture about how speed kills. Speed doesn't kill by the way, coming to halt rapidly does... (EDIT tongue in cheek!!) especially when someone fails to give way, swerves onto the wrong side of the road etc....

I can also tell you that when it comes to legal representation, the courts and compensation, things are also pretty screwed up in a variety of ways.

Moto2 is right, riding on track is much more fun and it's a shame there aren't more places to do it, more cheaply.

As an aside, I always found it pretty scary riding home from a trackday. On the one hand you've become comfortable with high speed, high lean, heavy braking etc, but on the other there's just so much going on even on a residential road at 20mph that I always got sensory overload... junction, pub entrance, lay by, drive way, someone about to cross the road, car driving towards me....aaaaaargh, take me back to the traaaaaack where we're all going in the same direction!!!

« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 03:18:58 PM by OuzoStreet »

Online Moto2build

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street triple rs
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 02:48:22 PM »
Thats true, biggest problem with Trackdays is that they dont do them on the weekend very often
How crazy is that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2019, 03:26:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Moto2build [+]
Thats true, biggest problem with Trackdays is that they dont do them on the weekend very often
How crazy is that

The best time I ever had was after I was made redundant ages ago. Because I'd realised what was going to happen I'd saved up money like crazy so that when the axe finally fell it allowed me to either go travelling, learn to fly, or start doing track days. I chose the latter and did about a dozen in a few months. It was so much fun! Although I could have spent the money more wisely (buying shares in Apple would have been a very good idea!) I'm so pleased I got to have those experiences, ranging from sheer terror to unadulterated pleasure, even though I was never really that good. Bliss, but on weekdays as you rightly point out.

Offline JonyB

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2011
  • City / Town: Wollongong
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 04:03:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by Moto2build [+]

That coupled with sky high insurance and road tax have lead to me giving it up and spending my 100 on a day on track
As fast as you like on a great surface, nothing coming the other way and dont need to peer into the hedges looking for cameras!

Is that all??!? Bloody hell, down here you pay at least $285 (AUD) which his roughly 160 GBP for a track day... If I'd live there I'd be doing twice as many track days  :031: :031:

But yeah, I totally understand everyone's frustration on this one... my favourite run,is up a beautiful section of mountain road where the speed limit is 60 km/h. Well, without even pushing half hard you'll be doing 90 km/h plus, and this is "loss of licence" territory... Basically whenever I'm out riding I have this inner conflict between keeping it within the legal speed limits, and actually having any fun. Always thinking "is there a cop after this turn?"... Sometimes, it makes for a bit of a frustrating riding experience... Don't know... Maybe just getting old, cause when I was younger didn't really give much thought to this and the rules were the same...

This is why track days are so wonderful  :001: :001: :001:
Ride to add life to your days, not days to your life.

Street Triple R 2011
ZX9R C2 (1999)
HEL || JayBee Biker Bits || STOMPGRIP || MOTUL

Offline Will Morgan

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 765R
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 08:24:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by JonyB [+]
Basically whenever I'm out riding I have this inner conflict between keeping it within the legal speed limits, and actually having any fun.

There is a solution to your conflict = ride a smaller slower bike to the full extent of it's capabilities. I have an old 250 Ducati single that I can ride flat out in full hooligan mode and know I'm not endangering my licence. It is sensational fun, sounds glorious, handles brilliantly and never ceases to amaze me. Down side is it's bloody uncomfortable, expensive to maintain if anything serious goes wrong, and is dreadful in town or on motorways. But when it's good it's so good I completely forget those negatives.

Online Moto2build

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street triple rs
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2019, 10:34:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
There is a solution to your conflict = ride a smaller slower bike to the full extent of it's capabilities. I have an old 250 Ducati single that I can ride flat out in full hooligan mode and know I'm not endangering my licence. It is sensational fun, sounds glorious, handles brilliantly and never ceases to amaze me. Down side is it's bloody uncomfortable, expensive to maintain if anything serious goes wrong, and is dreadful in town or on motorways. But when it's good it's so good I completely forget those negatives.

Tried that with a Ktm 525 Supermoto, went everywhere on one wheel and may aswell be a plate of chips the way it attracted the attention from the local swine haha!

Offline JonyB

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2011
  • City / Town: Wollongong
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2019, 11:14:43 PM »
Yeah, kind of think the same... Even with a 50cc bike you can very easily find yourself in that daunting "licence loss territory"... I wish track days were free  :038:
Ride to add life to your days, not days to your life.

Street Triple R 2011
ZX9R C2 (1999)
HEL || JayBee Biker Bits || STOMPGRIP || MOTUL

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2019, 11:18:14 PM »
Unfortunately I didn't win the lottery tonight so I won't be building a little track for forum members (ok me) to use....not that it would've been easy for you to get to Jony!

Offline billy1mate

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2013 STR
  • City / Town: Weymouth
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2019, 11:51:38 PM »
This may not make any difference to anyone but just to make you all aware. The money from a speeding fine goes to the treasury, whereas the money from a speed awareness course goes to that particular Scamera Partnership.
Obviously the latter helps keep the Scamera Partnership in business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat