Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: First Time Track Day, Street Triple R  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Snooky

• Street Triple Master
Re: First Time Track Day, Street Triple R
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 07:22:08 PM »
Been told extra fuel is good,  my mate can waste 3 tanks on his CBR600rr ar Silverstone in a day, that is with 3 sessions per day
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Offline keabs

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 07:29:12 PM »
Here's my 2p.

Pressures recommended above are all in the ballpark - BUT - don't forget to check them when the tyres are cold!

Take a bottle of water with you and top yourselfup throughout the day - it's amazing how dehydration will drop your concentration. You can refill your bottle with council pop from the taps.

As has been said above - big-man breakfast, but only have something light for lunch. You'd be amazed how your concentration dips after a hearty dinner.

Last but not least - at the end of the day, when you think you've cracked it, DON'T go out on the last session thinking you'll blast around - you're more likely to drop it now than at any other time of the day. Take it easy on the last session, and enjoy it.

Have a great day!  :028:

Offline FuzzyEdges

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 10:23:41 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. I had a cracking time. I rode to the circuit and when I arrived was surprised to see how few others had, the paddock was full of vans and trailers and nearly every bike was up on paddock stands with tyre warmers on, I felt under prepared! What I did do was - I lowered the tyre pressures to 32 front and rear, adjusted the suspension from my preferred 'soft' settings to the manuals suggested 'sport' settings. Removed the mirrors, taped the lights and removed the number plate. I went out for a sighting lamp and then my group was first out, in total I did six sessions and made some new friends.
One thing I have discovered however is the 'R' is far better than I am!

Offline krismart

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 12:05:31 AM »
Glad to hear you had a  good time  :028:

I was also surprised by the number of trailers etc. when I went to watch my brother a few weeks ago.  After thinking it through, I am doing California Superbike School in 2 weeks and a track day in 3 weeks and have decided to use a trailer on both occasions.

When are you going back??
If you can't be good, be good at it.

Offline Lucid Triple

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 02:07:57 AM »
 :062: woohoo, looks like fun fun fun  :028:

Offline CrazyCam

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 08:17:02 AM »
Hi FuzzyEdges.

Happy that you enjoyed it.

Yeah, some folk do the track day thing VERY seriously!

I'm not a total believer of the trailer business.

I know that, when I do a track day at Phillip Island, I am extremely aware of needing to have a working motorbike to take me the 1000+ kms. home the next day. Obviously this varies, person to person.

Did you do a lot of boot scraping?

If you did, the hint is that Daytone pegs fit directly onto the Striple, raising your feet by about an inch.

Since lots of the Daytona folk fit rear-sets, they aren't even hard to come by. :002:

regards,CrazyCam

Offline couchcommando

• Street Triple Member
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2009, 10:35:04 AM »
Glad you had fun but it's now a slippy slope ;)

For my first 40-50 trackdays I rode there but doing them frequently you get a few that are wet all day and you wish for wet tyres. As you get quicker you yearn for stickier tyres which means warmers and you inevitably end up with a van or trailer as it is easier especially if you have an off. It gives you space to relax and change and the journey home is more relaxing. Once you have all this the next step is racing ;) ;)

I've prob done 200+ trackdays now and 6 or 7 years of racing, had I not done that first one many years ago I would now be a rich man LOL

Offline couchcommando

• Street Triple Member
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 01:42:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by nikko [+]
....... if I lived close to a track  I'd ride there, never mind that I'd be limited re tyre choice etc. I know I don't have real ability so I might as well enjoy myself as cheaply and practically as possible and not worry . On the other hand I'd opt for a van over a trailer if possible for more distant trackdays, way more useful.(Done it in the past, still have a SORNED LDV waiting for the next glory day  :008:)

However, I have to say that IMO a lot of people do take it far too seriously, way out of proportion to their innate ability. Why add to the pressure in life? If you're not that quick you can still enjoy yerself.  Anyone remember a guy on a pan european a few years back ? People laughed at him when he turned up on Pan with furniture and road tyres. They weren't laughing when he was effortlessly passing R1s in the fast group , theres a pic somewhere. Natural ability. Instructor said its down to hand eye............

If you do have a van I'd strongly recommend a trackday abroad (France especially), like I said the informality is so different. Hope thats still the case. Commando is right about the slippery slope.....

A pan european does not have the ground clearance or braking ability to pass fast riders in the fast group never mind effortlessly. Yes you could get away with a pan in novice group and pass a few riders who are slower than you but that's it. Where is the fun in passing a rider who is slower than you or bragging about it afterwards, everyone starts somewhere and at the lower levels the bike is rarely the limiting factor. However once up to fast group pace a better bike helps out, front of fast group usually means mid pack race pace and from then on in a nice set-up bike helps loads :)

Offline FuzzyEdges

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 05:07:27 PM »
I must admit in the back of my head was the 'I've got to ride this home/go to work tomorrow nag' so perhaps I didn't push too much... see, I'm even preparing my racer's excuses. As for scrapping my boot, did you not look at the picture? That's as lairy as I got, but I did try hanging off the bike a bit in the later sessions. It didn't feel natural mind.
Everybody I met or talked to was friendly, had time to chat and offer advice. I was even offered a BBQ lunch by one group. The weather and atmosphere was great.
I can see this is the start of a particularly slippery slope, save me?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 05:11:22 PM by FuzzyEdges »

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat