Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: triple 09 won't turn over  (Read 325 times)

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street R 2009
Re: triple 09 won't turn over
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 06:45:02 PM »
You could also lift the front of the tank and check the bit of wiring loom I've circled where it rubs against the underside of the petrol tank...

Offline DEMON TROY

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 06:51:34 PM »
Will check. The display does light up but without info. Also when I left it for three months plugged in to an optimate would that affect anything? Had to laugh as I live in Cyprus!

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple God
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 07:06:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by DEMON TROY [+]
Will check. The display does light up but without info. Also when I left it for three months plugged in to an optimate would that affect anything? Had to laugh as I live in Cyprus!

Ha ha! I'll be there in five, put the kettle on. Ahem.

No, I really don't think the Optimate would damage anything at all.

I think getting the bike plugged into a diagnostic tool is the answer.

Do you know anyone else out there with a 2009 bike who might let you try their clocks? (Hopefully they would survive the testing process). Maybe someone else will chip in. But surely blank clocks indicates either a problem with the ECU sending info to them, the wire carrying info to them, or the clocks themselves.

If it were mine, I'd be plugging in my diagnostic cable, then, if there were no error codes, I would disable the canbus startup check for the clocks and try to start the bike.

Offline DEMON TROY

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 07:19:43 PM »
Thanks. I don't know anyone here with my bike so will persevere with all your suggestions and see.
Will let you know. Cheers

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple God
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2019, 07:48:38 PM »
I've just done a quick test for you. I unplugged my clocks and then turned the ignition on, with the kill switch in the run position. The following happens:

The lights come on.
Brake lights work.
Indicators work.

The ECU does not make its usual noise after startup (like it's sending a fax :038:)
The fuel pump does not prime.
The engine will not turn over.
The ECU does not make the usual noise a few seconds after turning the ignition off.

Soooooo, I still think it's your clocks, a wire leading to your clocks or the ECU. I guess it could still be several breaks in the loom of course. Should any of this lead to you fixing your bike, I would like to pre-emptively claim my free holiday in Cyprus  :038:

Offline DEMON TROY

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2019, 08:22:30 PM »
Haha, nice one.
On trawling through similar problems I came across one with identical issues. He found fuse no 4 horn and alarm had blown. Changed it and all was fine. Just pulled no 4 fuse out and it has blown. Will try and see if this makes a difference tomorrow as it's dark now. My datatool has lost it's sound, just flashes. Not sure how a fuse can create this problem. Can you pull yours out and see what happens?

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple God
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2019, 08:35:26 PM »
Well, that would make for a very cheap fix and be the complete opposite of my doom and gloom assessment. Lol.

More importantly, it would maybe make sense because of your alarm. See the attached screenshot from the manual. Fuse 4 is indicators and alarm!

Sorry, I'm away from my bike now.

Offline DEMON TROY

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2019, 09:12:49 PM »
Well how can a fuse have such an impact. New fuse fitted no 4 and everything is back to normal.

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple God
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2019, 09:33:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by DEMON TROY [+]
Well how can a fuse have such an impact. New fuse fitted no 4 and everything is back to normal.

It's because of the alarm and the way it immobilises the bike, I think. As an aside, I once had a Meta alarm. After a few years the internal rechargeable backup battery inside the alarm died, rendering the bike unusable until the whole alarm was removed. Might be worth bearing in mind for the future for you.

Anyway, great news that it's fixed. I learnt something too  :002:

Sorry if I caused you stress suggesting your clocks might be faulty. Oops! I never knew an alarm could make our clocks go blank. Maybe it's something to do with the way the ECU sends data to them over the canbus system?

I couldn't why my bike was showing a fault this morning and then eventually I realized it was because I turned the it on with the clocks disconnected. Duh. I soon reset it with the OBD II cable and Tune ECU though  :002:

Recent Posts/Topics