Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: testweekend @ the dealer  (Read 267 times)

Online gvy

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2011 street triple
testweekend @ the dealer
« on: September 08, 2019, 10:14:53 PM »
So , today I went to have a look @ a testweekend at a triumph dealer near me . Ever since I started riding October last year, I was wondering if there is another type of bike that would suit me better then my 2011 street triple. I have tested a speed twin in the past. Not my thing.
I have never been attracted to the adventure style bikes, but I was wondering how a triumph tiger 800 would ride. I am not interested in a 1200, because too heavy and big. Not that I am a small person with my 90kg and 1m83, but I just am not attracted to heavy bikes.
So what about the tiger 800?
My remarks on the street triple : It is a naked, so on the highway above 130km/u it starts being a workout for the neckmuscles . Luggage..... It would be nice to arrive somewhere and be able to store my vest and riding gear .  And that's about it I guess.

So , The tiger felt immediately as a user friendly bike, easy to ride, both slow and at higher speeds. It felt confident and planted in bends. It is a big bike that can have a lot of luggage if needed and I think I could ride it for a longer time then the street. Infact, for commuting the tiger is the better, more sensible bike and also for travelling.

So will I change the street for a tiger 800 ? I don't think so, not yet anyway.
I was surprised that there still was a lot of windnoise on the highway. My neck was less stressed, but the noise was louder, The screen at the highest point.
Compared to my striple, the engine of the tiger felt a bit boring, not inspiring. It is very capable, but the street is so much more fun and responsive. The tiger felt capable but never "fun". So the mind says Tiger , but the hart screams Striple.

When riding home on my striple, I got that big grin again that I got for the first time in october last year. Says it all.....

« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 11:03:48 PM by gvy »

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
Re: testweekend @ the dealer
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 10:40:57 PM »
....about right.....most test rides end up back on your own Street   :019:    :002: :002: :002:
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Online gvy

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 11:00:46 PM »
There was also this stunning Truxton. A truxton is not the sort of bike I would buy, but this one was so beautifull ( and expensive) that I had to take some pictures. I love the combination of paint, carbon and gold pinstripes.

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 07:19:42 AM »
IMO, the Thruxton rides like the Street...so stay away from it  :008:
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street R 2009
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 03:17:15 PM »
I love that Thruxton. I'd love a go on one to see if the weight reduction is noticeable.

I tested a Speed Twin last week. I quite liked it, apart from the bar position (too close to me) and weight when pushing it around. The extra torque low down in the rev range was nice compared to the Street, but there is something really fun about the engine on our bikes. I need to win the lottery and have about ten in the garage to play with!

Did you try the new Street Triple yet? The brakes and suspension on the RS are fantastic (not on the standard suspension settings hough - my local dealer softened everything to make the suspension much more compliant and it was great).

Online gvy

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 09:39:11 PM »
I didn't, and I am quite curious, how the street triple has evolved and become better since my 2011 version. I am sure the suspension on the new RS will be lots better than on my 2011. The suspension wasn't the best part on the first striples. ( I am very happy with my CBR600rr modification). I have no complaints about my brakes. I am no racer not on the track and on the road I don't behave to bad  :029: so I really don't need more. That is may be until I will have tested the new RS....

Geert

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street R 2009
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 10:00:38 PM »
The brakes on my R are the best I've ever had, I think. And then I tried the RS  :002: The first few times I reached an obstacle I found I stopped way too short and had to accelerate again  :001: For me, at the moment, the changes weren't enough to make me buy a 765 but it's definitely a 'better' bike, technically speaking at least. My only real hesitation is that the gearing is lower on our early 675s and as a result the RS didn't really feel faster to me until the revs were quite high. If the new engine had been tuned to have much more low down torque at the expense of top end power, I think I would have bought one already. It's a lovely bike.

Recent Posts/Topics