Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Newbie saying hi  (Read 176 times)

Offline Typhon219

• Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple 765 R
  • City / Town: Manchester
Newbie saying hi
« on: September 10, 2019, 05:44:41 PM »
Hi all, Im new to the forum and to ST ownership, well, about to be.

I have a Street Triple R to collect next week and cant wait. Test rode a pair of demo bikes at Phil Youles Manchester last week and fell in love.

Any tips on running in a new bike would be much appreciated as this will be my first. Most likely will be going by the book but Im not sure what to expect.

Ride safe

Ian

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street R 2009
Re: Newbie saying hi
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 06:42:52 PM »
Hope you enjoy your new bike - I'm sure you'll love it  :002:

Running in? Can. Of. Worms. I've always done it by the book but there is some convincing literature online that suggests this is a very bad thing to do because you will not get a good seal between the piston rings and the bore. The idea is that by gradually loading the engine over a short period of time, the rings are forced to bed into the wall of the bore and that the rough new honing marks on the cylinder walls make sure the rings seat properly. The theory goes that these tiny rough edges on the cylinder wall get worn away very quickly and that the opportunity to make best possible gas seal between rings and cylinder is very short. One guy claims to have seen bike after bike suffering from blow by and glazed bores because the owner ran the engine in gently. He claims the only way to remedy this is to then re-hone the bores and start the process all over again with new rings. He's a fan of running the engine in on the Dyno. On the road, after warming the bike thoroughly, he recommends gradually loading the engine quite hard, letting the engine slow down in between, until you gradually load to max revs (eek). After this (twenty miles or something) he says you should change the oil..... He really stresses this last bit from memory. He also stresses the engine should be thoroughly warmed and it's not just as simple as thrashing it.

BUT personally I've never used this method, because I've just spent a fortune on a new bike and I just don't want to risk it. I am not an engineer, or a mechanic. Lol. I forget the guy's name. He's a tuner with his own website with example photos of engines that have been gently run in vs those using his method. I just don't know if I could do it, but I guess the choice is yours. Lots of opinions online, especially regarding modern plated bores like the 765.

I'm sure there are probably videos of tuners running in engines on the dyno. Brutal!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 06:50:15 PM by OuzoStreet »

Offline Typhon219

• Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple 765 R
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 08:19:30 PM »
Cheers pal, Ive seen various similar versions of what you said, and just as many stories about the softly softly approach. Think if I stick to what Triumph say theres less argument they can make against any warranty issues should I need support I suppose.

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street R 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 08:28:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Typhon219 [+]
Cheers pal, Ive seen various similar versions of what you said, and just as many stories about the softly softly approach. Think if I stick to what Triumph say theres less argument they can make against any warranty issues should I need support I suppose.

Agreed  :002:

Online Ace101

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 2017 - 765 RS
  • City / Town: Gatwick
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 02:00:20 AM »
 :401:
2017 Triumph Street Triple 765 RS - West Sussex

Offline lee6r

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street Triple 2008
  • City / Town: Peteboghorror
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 10:14:04 AM »
 :401:
I agree with following Triumph's advice for running in, they might know what they're talking about.
I followed their running in guidelines in 2008, bike still running sweetly, good power and uses no oil  :305:
Do all horses have one horse power? Think about it.........

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat