Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Exhaust header pipe care  (Read 1521 times)

Online OuzoStreet

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street R 2009
Re: Exhaust header pipe care
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2019, 01:08:14 PM »
Autosol is only 4 in Wilko.... That's even cheaper than on eBay, let alone the 7 charged by Halfords for the same sized tube...

Offline crusty20

• Street Triple God
  • If you're going through hell - keep going
  • Bike: Street triple
  • City / Town: Barnsley,South Yorks
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2019, 07:01:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by OuzoStreet [+]
Autosol is only 4 in Wilko.... That's even cheaper than on eBay, let alone the 7 charged by Halfords for the same sized tube...
Good old Wilko, its on my shopping list pronto. Stunning job with those pipes Ouzo, well impressed, think you could work full time doing all members pipes on this forum, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online OuzoStreet

• Street Triple God
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2019, 09:44:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by crusty20 [+]
Good old Wilko, its on my shopping list pronto. Stunning job with those pipes Ouzo, well impressed, think you could work full time doing all members pipes on this forum, lol

Please not. No more polishing. I got impatient and did quite a bit of sanding in the garage in less than great light. When I took it outside I saw that I've introduced quite a few fine scratches. Oops. There's still quite a lot of light pitting here and there too. I keep trying to remind myself this whole system only cost 100 including an O2 sensor and all brackets n springs etc, so, you know, what did I expect? Well, other than to find a gold bar hidden inside the collector..... but apart from that, nothing too unrealistic  :001:

Still trying to work out what to do about the dented muffler. And I'm still pleased I got out most of the dent from the underside of the number 3 downpipe. Phew.

Offline crusty20

• Street Triple God
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2019, 10:46:56 PM »
Great work Ouzo, thats some proper elbow grease thats gone into that pipe restoration. To get the dent out in the muffler, could you drill a small hole on the opposite side of the dent and tap it out with a hammer and a small punch, then have the hole welded back up?

Online OuzoStreet

• Street Triple God
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2019, 11:04:16 PM »
Great work Ouzo, thats some proper elbow grease thats gone into that pipe restoration. To get the dent out in the muffler, could you drill a small hole on the opposite side of the dent and tap it out with a hammer and a small punch, then have the hole welded back up?

I'm not sure. A mate reckons he can weld something straight onto it and then use a slide hammer to pull out the dents.

I've also been looking at painless dent removal techniques on YouTube (amazing stuff, some are really worth a watch). Dunno if it would work on something so creased and on such a tight curve though. I've put an inspection camera in the muffler and the internal space isn't compromised, though I guess some of the layers of deadening must be squished. A final option would be to remove the end cap and internals and then force the dents out from the inside. I think I could cut circles out of ply, attach them to stud again and work my way down to the narrower part in a series of smaller and smaller discs, but I think it would be laborious.

I might just test the exhaust at this stage and see what it's like. The whole system only weighs 5.5 kgs so this would mean saving another 3kgs + over the twin carbon cans I've got on the bike at the moment.

The other option is to fit a road legal silencer onto the Arrow manifold, which is kind of of why I bought the system. I think there's a place local to me that could knock up a link pipe for me once I find something I like. If I could find a secondhand HP Corse Hydroform at the right price is be very happy! Technically there's no rush above and beyond my basic level of impatience!

Offline crusty20

• Street Triple God
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2019, 09:06:08 AM »
Whatever option you choose, best of luck with it Ouzo, it sounds like youve got patience of Job. Lol

Offline crusty20

• Street Triple God
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2019, 09:25:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by OuzoStreet [+]
I'm not sure. A mate reckons he can weld something straight onto it and then use a slide hammer to pull out the dents.

I've also been looking at painless dent removal techniques on YouTube (amazing stuff, some are really worth a watch). Dunno if it would work on something so creased and on such a tight curve though. I've put an inspection camera in the muffler and the internal space isn't compromised, though I guess some of the layers of deadening must be squished. A final option would be to remove the end cap and internals and then force the dents out from the inside. I think I could cut circles out of ply, attach them to stud again and work my way down to the narrower part in a series of smaller and smaller discs, but I think it would be laborious.

Just an idea for another option OuzoStreet. What about fabricating an oval shaped heat shield from 1mm Stainless steel sheet then riveting it in place on the muffler? Basically just covering over the dent? I know it doesnt get the dent out for performance sake but IMO would look acceptable.

Online OuzoStreet

• Street Triple God
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2019, 09:43:32 PM »
Just an idea for another option OuzoStreet. What about fabricating an oval shaped heat shield from 1mm Stainless steel sheet then riveting it in place on the muffler? Basically just covering over the dent? I know it doesnt get the dent out for performance sake but IMO would look acceptable.

That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. If I recall one of the complaints with the Arrow lowboy was that it ground out in roughly the area of the dent during enthusiastic riding. As a result I wondered if it would be possible to bash it flat in that area, a bit like the chamfered corners that early Ducati Monsters had on their silencers. I'm not sure I have the skill to do it though!

I did a quick test fit and there are some issues with the two mounting points on the muffler. I guess something got bent out of whack when it was damaged, so I'm trying to work out which bracket is bent in which direction. What I'm seeing doesn't quite make sense so maybe someone has already tried to straighten things up a bit...

Oh, and which one of you naughty people went into my local Wilko and bought all the Autosol? Next time I see something cheap I'm keeping quiet  :001:

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat