Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How to reduce the shock sag?  (Read 783 times)

Offline tim.8061

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple 09
  • City / Town: Gloucester
Re: How to reduce the shock sag?
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 01:05:54 PM »
No, that was just the thread title.

OP said  "my RS seems to sag a fair bit when I sit on it."

Changing preload won't change that.

Offline johnnyrebel

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '17 Striple RS
  • City / Town: Elgin
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2019, 08:54:12 PM »
Fek me I think I'll just lose 5kg  :087: !

Offline Beelady

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Steet Triple
  • City / Town: New Romney
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2019, 09:16:29 PM »
Fek me I think I'll just lose 5kg 

You could probably do that before this discussion ends  :001:

Offline RedBikeAgain3

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: 2015 ST ABS noneR
  • City / Town: Lincoln
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2019, 09:40:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Beelady [+]

Start another thread about tyres and oil and you could waste away and die before it ends. Metzeler M7rr and Motul 7100 and I adjusted my sag (ride height to some) on my rear nitron. There, Ive said all I have on the matters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yam DT80, Honda CB250RS, Yam XJ650, Suzuki X7, Kawa GPz500, Honda CB-1 (400), Yam FZS600 and now ... ST

Offline JonyB

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2011
  • City / Town: Wollongong
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2019, 03:40:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by johnnyrebel [+]
Fek me I think I'll just lose 5kg  :087: !

Relax.  :350:

Think about what you want to achieve with the bike.

Do your research from renowned sources like RACETECH, K-TECH, etc. Also look through renowned motorcycling publications, as they too will have good articles on suspension and suspension tuning / adjustment.

FORUMS are also good source of information, but as you just witnessed you will have different riders with different views. Not saying (at all) that I'm right and tim.8061 is wrong, and also not saying that I'm wrong and tim.8061 is right. I simply agree to disagree and I move on.

Depending on what you want to achieve, and after you do your own research, you'll soon find out that you can tackle the issue in different ways (some simpler than others).

I'm a believer that learning new things is very important, especially in regard to getting your bike set up in a way that you're happy with. Yes, you can simply take the bike to the shop, but there's a lot of things you can do by yourself and you don't need to pay someone else to do it for you. All you need to do is spend some time researching and learning as much as you can, and then just have a go and try making small adjustments.

That's my suggestion anyway.
Ride to add life to your days, not days to your life.

Street Triple R 2011
ZX9R C2 (1999)
HEL || JayBee Biker Bits || STOMPGRIP || MOTUL

Offline Ali-bear

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street Triple 765 RS
  • City / Town: Chipping Sodbury
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2019, 08:25:18 AM »
What he says  :460:
My take on this. The whole point of having adjustable pre-load is to bring the range of suspension movement into the intended working range. That means sitting about 1/3 of the way through the travel with you on it at rest. It doesn't change the spring rate.

Online gvy

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 2011 street triple
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2019, 03:18:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Beelady [+]

You could also decide to take a (controlled) leak or even drop a (perfectly calculated) load to adjust the sag on your bike, before going on the road.
There is always the possibility to finetune with adding weight by eating something or losing weight by wrapping yourself in plastic foil, go in the sauna and sweat it out till you have the perfect weight to ride the striple.
By no means , you use the preload before you have done the above mentioned actions.
I also used helium filled balloons tied to my helmet with succes.
Using the street triple on the moon on the other hand was no succes. Sag became way to low and I had to add an elephant as a pillion, but couldn't find a spacesuit to match the elephant or find an elephant that could hold his breath long enough in space.

A street triple is a machine that is very sensitive to the smallest changes

Sorry....it's friday :431:  :031:

seriously. Of course you can adjust/finetune the sag by playing with the preload, but not infinite. If you have to adjust to far, it's not ok and another spring may be  needed.
f.e. When riding with a pillion, it is normally adviced to adjust the preload, to get the sag into "normal" range
Don't some beemers have the ESA button to change preload and damping, according to weight, riding conditions or riding style?

Some good  lecture :http://www.promecha.com.au/sag_preload.htm
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 04:06:47 PM by gvy »

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat