Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Another (50+) Newbie!  (Read 521 times)

Online gvy

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 2011 street triple
Re: Another (50+) Newbie!
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 10:19:28 PM »
 :062:
What a beauty. I love the gold wheels of the R version combined with the black.

Offline branston

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 2014 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Benfleet, Essex
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 12:00:14 AM »
Proof positive, well done! From that distance, she looks pretty damn impressive for now. Theres nothing like a bit of tender loving care and time to bring something up to scratch, and I bet shell reward you with hours of fun and good service now. Fantastic colour scheme too, just like the JPS colours of Fittipaldi, Andretti, etc., and youll have to be 50+ to have a clue what thats all about . . .

Offline F5 Dave

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: STR 11
  • City / Town: Wellington
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 08:40:24 PM »
Yeah it looks great.
I have the flyscreen  on nasel thingy on mine and it makes a surprising difference to wind comfort. 

Offline Tattybogle

• Topic Author
  • Bike: 2011 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Chelmsford
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 09:51:23 PM »
Just fitted the flyscreen and carried on polishing various parts. The stainless dome head fasteners all look new now.  Used a Dremel with tiny buffing wheels and Autosol. As a previous reply stated, dealing with the slight corrosion breaking through the engine coating (anodising?) will be difficult and probably not worth the effort. Im not after a concours bike, just a very tidy one.

Online OuzoStreet

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street R 2009
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2019, 03:54:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tattybogle [+]
Just fitted the flyscreen and carried on polishing various parts. The stainless dome head fasteners all look new now.  Used a Dremel with tiny buffing wheels and Autosol. As a previous reply stated, dealing with the slight corrosion breaking through the engine coating (anodising?) will be difficult and probably not worth the effort. Im not after a concours bike, just a very tidy one.

I think the engine is powder coated unfortunately  :187: I'd try and live with it and then see what happens as it goes through a few heat cycles. Certainly don't try and pull any of the costing away. It's thick and it will be very obvious.

It looks great in the photos by the way. It takes me back to watching F1 as a kid. I know black and gold is dated to some, but it still really works for me. I see it as kind of retro cool - in fact, my warped mind wants to put clipons on it, a single headlight conversion, some carbon cans and black footrest hangers and yokes! Sacrilege, I know  :001:

EDIT: is your bike the solid black colour or the metallic black? If it's the solid black, I have a set of brand new painted black radiator covers. I ordered them in error because the picture showed the optional mini radiator guards, but obviously I received the standard full sized ones.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 04:05:48 PM by OuzoStreet »

Offline Tattybogle

• Topic Author
  • Bike: 2011 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Chelmsford
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2019, 09:28:54 PM »
Its Phantom black metallic.  Just about to start removing the forks. The left fork seal has totally blown leaving a small pool of oil on the driveway and fork oil streaming across the belly pan. Thats where the money is going next unfortunately. I will have to appraise the pitting to the forks as well. Might have to bite the bullet and have it rechromed. 

Online OuzoStreet

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street R 2009
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2019, 09:39:50 PM »
Good luck with it. Didn't that Italian brand offer a replacement leg? (Paolo Tarozzi)

This place offers rechroming for 95 if you haven't found anywhere yet. I haven't used them, I just stumbled upon them the other day when looking for replacement stanchions. https://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=fork+rechroming

Recent Posts/Topics