Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Time it takes to get onto your Triumph...  (Read 721 times)

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street R 2009
Re: Time it takes to get onto your Triumph...
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 06:21:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by andymarks [+]
Wear textiles to bed. Keeps you warm and saves time in the morning. Tried helmet too but ended up with a stiff neck. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:001: :001: I've tried sleeping in a helmet too. Once beside a main road somewhere near Leicester at about 3 a.m when my bike broke down (all bulbs blew at once apart from idiot lights!) and again at Anglesey after a track day during a cold, wet and windy night, dressed in full leathers too inside a tent! Minging time....

Offline F5 Dave

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: STR 11
  • City / Town: Wellington
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 06:39:39 PM »
 :I was thinking this thread was about slinging a leg over the bike.

Last night I did a practice run with my panniers and tailbag just to scrub the tyres before tour Friday.   Slinging the leg through the gap high enough in leathers isn't as easy as bare bike and I thought.  Yeah, I'll have to do this a few times over next week.
And you have to say  HiYaahh!

Still. Better than working.  :007:

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street R 2009
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 06:44:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by F5 Dave [+]
:I was thinking this thread was about slinging a leg over the bike.

Last night I did a practice run with my panniers and tailbag just to scrub the tyres before tour Friday.   Slinging the leg through the gap high enough in leathers isn't as easy as bare bike and I thought.  Yeah, I'll have to do this a few times over next week.
And you have to say  HiYaahh!

Still. Better than working.  :007:

I have the same problem with the tailpack on the pillion seat, especially in leathers. My technique for this is to grab the bars (well, at least the left), then bend forward like you're going to touch the clocks with your head whilst swinging your leg up and over the rear seat. But tricky but for me it's better than rolling off the bike when my heeel gets stuck on the riders seat  :001:

Online Beelady

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Steet Triple
  • City / Town: New Romney
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 07:47:45 PM »
For commuting I used to leave all my kit clean and ready to put on. On rainy mornings, add a couple of minutes to apply rain proofer to visor. For me the problem is how long it takes to get the bike out of Fort Knox and then get everything locked up again before getting the bike gear on. Once dressed up and ready to go I only have to unlock the gates, get the bike up onto  the lane and lock the gates behind me. If it's really cold, add another half minute to plug myself into the bike and turn on the heated vest (I'm getting old. I love my vest!).
When it was time to leave work I was always last by the time I had the gear back on. Then add another couple of uncomfortable and mostly angry minutes because you left the ignition key in the back pocket of your jeans which are now under a thick layer of vest, textiles and hi-Viz reflective vest again. And again, and again  :003:  I always enjoyed the commute though. Not so much on the occasions when it snowed and I wished I'd bought the car instead, but apart from that the joy made up for the effort needed to get ready to ride.
And the tail pack technique? I have bendy joints that also break easily so my method is to grip the left hand bar with my left hand, stand on left leg and lift right leg, keeping it perfectly straight until my right foot is resting on the seat. And breathe! Then lean forward and with a peculiar heel/toe wriggle, proceed to inch closer to the bike until I can haul myself on board. If I'm riding with close friends they often pick me up with a good grip round the waist and put me on the seat. It's much quicker and we all get a giggle out of it.
Someone remind me again why I prefer to take a bike instead of the car?  :001:

Offline EllyV6

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street Triple 2011
  • City / Town: Lancs
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2019, 06:54:29 AM »
Ha,ha,!  Beelady, excellent!
The key in the pocket one always gets me, full waterproofs, helmet on, gloves on and fitted nicely, now fire it up, arrgh....keys !!!!!!!

Yep, and locking up too,...... undoing everything, wheeling bike out , locking up then remembering you put your gloves down inside the garage....

Offline Pesto_PastaLVR

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Triumph ST-R 14P.
  • City / Town: Sussex
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2019, 09:14:25 AM »
I am glad it isn't just me! - Yes Keys under leathers or textiles is deffo an issue!!!! I think I will need to work out a system at home to improve my time! I never put anything in the same place twice  :027: . ...and when I do I'm pretty sure the girlfriend moves it!!!!

Thanks for the laughs! & replies!  :460:
Something witty about getting your knee down, chicken strips & going fast!

Offline Dreadnought

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Gen 1 Street Triple
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2019, 10:45:13 AM »
Same time as my push bike and no faster to work, bed to in the saddle in 20 mins, which includes a shower and shave, breakfast is for whimps

Offline EllyV6

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street Triple 2011
  • City / Town: Lancs
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2019, 04:25:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dreadnought [+]
Same time as my push bike and no faster to work, bed to in the saddle in 20 mins, which includes a shower and shave, breakfast is for whimps

You wear all your bike gear when you go out on the push bike then ???? !!! :038:

Offline Dreadnought

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Gen 1 Street Triple
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2019, 04:33:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by EllyV6 [+]
You wear all your bike gear when you go out on the push bike then ???? !!! :038:

Yeah, still the same injuries, easy to touch 50mph on the way to work on the push bike

Offline hotmetal

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2009
  • City / Town: Thames Valley
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2019, 09:01:11 PM »
You do get into a routine after a while but even so, there's a certain amount of faff involved that can't be done any faster. Add to that a bit of OCD or "have I got everything, and did I lock the front door" and you'll soon waste a few more minutes taking your gloves off for a second check for wallet, watch, keys, phone, heated grip lead unplugged...

One day I want to actually work out what the minimum distance is that it would actually be quicker to ride rather than just jump in the car.

_______
The only V8 I'm likely to own comes in one litre tetrapaks and tastes like celery.

_________
Play nicely!
Bikes I've had:
Vespa 150 Super, GPz500s, FZR600R, ZX6R, FZS1000 (x2), 2009 Matt Graphite STR
and some pedally ones as well!

Recent Posts/Topics