Author Topic: Headlamp cowl differences  (Read 574 times)

Offline deeteefifty

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2011 Street Triple UK
  • City / Town: WALLSEND
Headlamp cowl differences
on: December 30, 2020, 06:32:44 PM
Hello,

I've got hold of the early Street Triple headlamps to fit to my 2011 model. Do I need the early headlamp cowl, if so, are there any obvious differences I can reference while searching on line.
Some don't state year as advertised.

Thanks

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
Re: Headlamp cowl differences
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 08:43:39 PM
They are different, but look very similar...what colour is your bike plus I believe you need the cables to the lights from the old model to plug into your loom...let me know how you get on as I may do this one day on a project bike
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline deeteefifty

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 07:36:08 AM
Thanks Tomspurs, I looked up part numbers but I'm uncertain which number is correct for the round headlamp cowl. I can respray whatever colour I get. The wiring and connections I can make myself, it looks like I also need the speedo to cowl fascia panel. Once I get all parts I'll do an update. :028:

Offline deeteefifty

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 08:55:43 PM
Here's my update that may help a headlamp conversion, done only because I prefer the looks of the round lamp models, a bit of character.
All the parts were second hand and still not cheap.
The lamps came with the central mounting bar which is a little shorter than my later facelift 2011 model but they fit in the headstock mount as do all other items. The short Siamese wiring harness fits perfectly to the round lamps from the multi plug connector so no new harness needed.
The pics show the round lamps fitted with the later cowl and it looks too gappy and distant so I had to get the earlier cowl and fascia to be happy. The old cowl will not mount on the later fascia.
I've shown the parts side by side (old model items on the left) so you can compare with parts for sale as I found it tricky to distinguish. The early model uses 3 screws connecing fascia to cowl, the facelift one uses 4. Numbers on the items are;
Old cowl 2307575, new cowl A9700286
Old fascia 2307582, new fascia A9700287
I don't know if these are part numbers, I find Triumph part numbers a bit confusing and haven't yet found free parts manuals.

RS paints supplied the imperial purple paint, I haven't cut the laquer back yet so it looks a big rough.
Cost me about 280 including postage and paint. I got my bike for a good price so spent some of the savings.

Does anyone know what the blister is for on the top left of the early model cowl?

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 11:10:20 AM
Nice work, DT, and very useful information!   

No idea what the 'blister' is on the early cowl but I think the cowl for early Streest and Speeds are identical so perhaps it has something to do with the clock configuration?  Somebody will be along dreckly to tell me I'm a complete idiot but, hey, every day's a learning experience!   :001:

Regards,

Adie