Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Installed Nitron Rear Shock today (with pics!)  (Read 2582 times)

Offline Mackeral_Fillet

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
Installed Nitron Rear Shock today (with pics!)
« on: June 16, 2009, 06:03:30 PM »
I ordered my shock a couple of weeks ago and it finally arrived! Got to say, the speed of it was slow, must be down to me specifying my weight and them having to custom make a spring. Saying that, they did advise me when I ordered that it would be a couple of weeks! I ordered the NTR Sport, approx 350 with VAT & Delivery.

Anyway, the standard shock for the heavier rider (me@15.5stone) felt poor. It did not take well to bumps and pretty much launched me out of the seat on big unexpected bumps. The rider sag was also way over 40mm, much more than recommended!

Anyway, I'm no racer but specified fast road use as riding style. I was a little worried about installing it myself, but, with very little knowledge of mechanics it was a very easy job - i really dont think it would be worth paying a garage to do (although setting it up may require professional advice!)

The difference in the ride is outstanding. As I no longer sag so much, the bike seems to steer much quicker. The shock soaks up the bumps and the quality feels so much better. But the main thing I noticed was how much better the bike feels when applying power. On straights, bends, whatever, it is so much more composed. It felt so good that I gave it some welly in 1st and pulled a wheelie (not something I do!) and it felt so compliant and inspired me with more confidence.  Before it would noticibaly wallow, but now it feels much more solid.

So I guess a good upgrade for me. I'm no expert at suspension but I am so glad I did this mod, the ride is so much better, feels more composed and it looks sexy! For now all I have done is installed it. Not had a play with any rebound/damping and left it at their 'recommended settings'. After a few hundred miles I might have a fiddle but for now it seems great.

Here's some pics:

Got bike on Abba stand and brick under wheel to support swingarm

The removal of stock shock:

Sexeh!

Fully installed

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 06:05:03 PM by Mackeral_Fillet »

Offline mr_rusty

• Street Triple God
Re: Installed Nitron Rear Shock today (with pics!)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 06:08:48 PM »
Looks good  :028:

Chris

Offline doggy

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: 765 RS + Monster796
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 06:35:38 PM »
Very nice Bling!

Offline Neanderthal

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 06:57:07 PM »
Nice - I've read somewhere that you could specify different colors for the spring as well. I wonder if this shock is as good as the OEM shock on the R model?

Neanderthal

Offline triple_kid

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 07:06:57 PM »
nice write up  :460:

You can specify different coloured springs... i think the only other colour is black which is what i went for.

I agree that the difference in riding is amazing  :028:
The best things come in 3's

Offline bigal1870

• Ex Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 07:47:13 PM »
Mackeral..very nice. Just a couple of questions. I will have to use a trolley jack as I have no abba stand. How does the stock shock come out, from the top or from the bottom. Is it just two bolts or are there any other bolts to take out on the linkage. Cheers.
The good guys wear black

Offline tiltedyed

• Street Triple Pro
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 08:54:21 PM »
hi were do get it from i also find the standard shock poor espicially two up

Offline ironeye

• Street Triple Pro
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 12:11:55 PM »
Nice addition look svery nice :062:
Street triple 09, from 09 to 11
Speed triple 10, from 11 to ......

Offline Lucid Triple

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 02:24:31 PM »
I like how the colors work with the bike  :062:

Offline triple_kid

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 06:10:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by bigal1870 [+]
Mackeral..very nice. Just a couple of questions. I will have to use a trolley jack as I have no abba stand. How does the stock shock come out, from the top or from the bottom. Is it just two bolts or are there any other bolts to take out on the linkage. Cheers.

al there is only 2 bolts to remove... one either end of the shock. It will come out easily over the rear swingarm once you have removed both bolts ( thats the way I pulled mine out anyway )  :028:
The best things come in 3's

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat