Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: turning off lights for a track day  (Read 1200 times)

Offline quality

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
turning off lights for a track day
« on: July 03, 2009, 01:50:27 PM »
Hi everyone, Having recently done a track day I ended up with gaffer tape goo all over my headlights and rims when I took it off. The no lights rule meant they needed covering up. Has anyone any ideas on suitably covering the lights or ideas on turning them off that doesn't involve lifting the tank and pulling a fuse as this would be a sod to do at the track. I got the goo off in the end but it was a pain to do and my bike would look much better in photos with no tape on it. Before anyone says it, yes I am a poser and it must look good!

Cheers,

Paul.

Online Red

• Street Triple God
  • Carpe diem (na Kaapstad en terug)
Re: turning off lights for a track day
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 02:02:46 PM »
 :002:

Removing the bulbs  :038:

I used to have one of those reflective headlight covers for my old bonnie.......not sure if that would pass though

:305:
"Not just today"
"Vos es meus optimus amicus"
"We can't change the weather, only enjoy the challenges it brings."
"When the road gets rough, who needs tarmac? ;-)  X"
"Team Red Tours are go!"
"O" roads for the adventure
"Being quick is not about going fast,its about being slower less often"

Offline flip

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 01:20:39 AM »
You'll still need to tape them up! its to keep the glass in place in the event of a spill..

Offline CJB

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
 :018:

Why not remove the lenses and bulbs together, problem solved as you only need a philips screwdriver and 5 minutes to do this.

CJB
Like to ride bikes, not big on cleaning them.  Steady plodder with the occasional mad moment.  At the age now where falling off will really hurt.

Offline bedge

• Street Triple Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 01:39:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by quality [+]
Hi everyone, Having recently done a track day I ended up with gaffer tape goo all over my headlights and rims when I took it off. The no lights rule meant they needed covering up. Has anyone any ideas on suitably covering the lights or ideas on turning them off that doesn't involve lifting the tank and pulling a fuse as this would be a sod to do at the track. I got the goo off in the end but it was a pain to do and my bike would look much better in photos with no tape on it. Before anyone says it, yes I am a poser and it must look good!

Cheers,

Paul.
I suggest puting a plastic Carrier bag over the  lights then use masking tape to wrap around and bind the bag over the lights only allowing the tape to touch the bag!then just cut the tape after your great win and and remove bag leaving no goo on the bike.just a thought
bedge

Offline triple whammy

• Street Triple Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 02:23:46 AM »
Undo the clamp at the base of the light cowl take the lens off then pull the connectors off the back of the bulbs. Put lens back in and add 2 strips of gaffer tape - this stops the requirement of most trackday sterwards to sweep up your own glass once you've thrown the bike up the road ! My experience is although the GSXR's, R1's etc may have the straight line speed, the buggers are in the way when it comes to the corners !         :062:

Offline Aussie675R

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: 09 Street R 06 D675
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 07:44:35 AM »
Remove the headlight bolts.Remove the bottom rad support screw,remove LH+RH allen screw on plastic rad covers,remove the two top rad bolts,pull rad forward to gain access to head light plugs and press connector clip to disconnect plugs... problem solved!! It's a bit fiddily as the light loom is short..can be done, go on you want to.

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat