Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: The Lap Timer  (Read 639 times)

Offline vinnie

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
  • Black R, Screen, Hugger, Renntec Grabrail
The Lap Timer
« on: May 12, 2010, 02:40:20 PM »

Did my first track day on the StripleR on Monday and as it was there, decided to enable the Lap Timer.

Didn't find it too hard to remember to punch the starter button as I went under the start/finish gantry and a bit of between-sessions fun looking back through my lap times!  :008:

Anyone else used theirs's? Regarding the times, all I can say is there's plenty of room for improvement! In my defence, it's only just run in so I set a self-imposed limit of 10k rpm, just to be on the safe side...  :006: that's my excuse anyway!  :002:

Offline mckeann

• Street Triple Member
Re: The Lap Timer
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 05:58:54 PM »
i used mine on my old striple, found it very easy to reach and remember, and be pretty accurate with.

I got down to a 62.5 at knockhill.  My excuse is i only passed my test 3 weeks before the trackday, so i was a total newbie.

What track were you at and what times did you manage?  (not a pissing contest, just interested)

Offline krismart

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 01:36:11 AM »
I've used mine the last couple of times at the track and also find it pretty easy to use.

In case you didn't know, it also keeps your average lap speed stored for each lap  :028:
If you can't be good, be good at it.

Offline vinnie

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
  • Black R, Screen, Hugger, Renntec Grabrail
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 10:23:31 AM »

Silverstone - the new Arena GP circuit. Best lap was 3:13!  :006:

Yes, I noticed that it shows averages - I think mine was ~50. There was another speed too that shows ~90, but if that was maximum I'm pretty sure the speedo got up to ~115 down the Hanger straight; I'll check through it again.

Great for a bit of fun but I wouldn't want to let it push me out of my comfort zone!

Offline SquarePants

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 08:18:33 PM »
Got back from Brands yesterday after doing my first track day on the wee beastie. Excellent fun hooning around with a couple of mates on their Aprilia RSVs. One of them had downloaded a free app to his Nokia phone called RaceChrono which keeps track of your lap times without you having to press any buttons once your on the move.

You need a phone with internal GPS or a separate GPS receiver that can connect via Bluetooth to the phone (about 35). Dowload the track file then just set it going before you line up to go out on track and every time you go passed the start/finish line it records your time - you don't have to do anything except ride the bike. Once you've finished its got a list of all your times lap by lap along with telemetry about your speed on every part of the circuit for every lap. Obviously you have to interpret the results a little e.g. if a one corner looks a bit slow on one lap it's hard to know if you lost concentration or got stuck in slower traffic.

Here's a link to their website and a list of compatible phones. From what I saw it looked well worth the money - which is nothing. Well you can make a donation if you like what you see, which is more than fair I think.

http://www.racechrono.com/download/
It must be true, I read it on the internet.

Offline triple_kid

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 08:47:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by SquarePants [+]
Got back from Brands yesterday after doing my first track day on the wee beastie. Excellent fun hooning around with a couple of mates on their Aprilia RSVs. One of them had downloaded a free app to his Nokia phone called RaceChrono which keeps track of your lap times without you having to press any buttons once your on the move.

You need a phone with internal GPS or a separate GPS receiver that can connect via Bluetooth to the phone (about 35). Dowload the track file then just set it going before you line up to go out on track and every time you go passed the start/finish line it records your time - you don't have to do anything except ride the bike. Once you've finished its got a list of all your times lap by lap along with telemetry about your speed on every part of the circuit for every lap. Obviously you have to interpret the results a little e.g. if a one corner looks a bit slow on one lap it's hard to know if you lost concentration or got stuck in slower traffic.

Here's a link to their website and a list of compatible phones. From what I saw it looked well worth the money - which is nothing. Well you can make a donation if you like what you see, which is more than fair I think.

http://www.racechrono.com/download/

:460:
The best things come in 3's

Recent Posts/Topics