Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: The ST vs STR thread - Post your questions and information about the topic here  (Read 35998 times)

Offline Bel

• Street Triple God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Carbonised STR
Please post your ST vs STR related question and information on this thread, all old thread will get a link to this thread and then locked. All new thread will be moved into this one. Have fun and keep it coming.

Nikko wrote a intro for us:

STREET TRIPLE v STREET TRIPLE R  - a brief overview.

There are three main differences:  ride position, suspension, and brakes.

The ride position is subtly but significantly different.  The R seat is slightly higher, and feels further forward than it actually is. The result is more of an attacking ride position:  the R is more sit on , the standard sit in.  For those who know their bikes, the R feels more like a Super Duke, the Standard more classic street bike - relatively speaking. However, the differing ergonomics will have little effect on actual ride since geometry remains almost identical. In other words, it will be down to which ride position suits you physically, and that is best determined by test riding.

The suspension on both bikes has been a contentious topic.  In theory, the R should have the upper hand here, if only because the Daytona kit used fore and aft is more adjustable -  the OE shock on the standard bike is pretty basic. All else being equal, there should be no contest, but life was made more complicated than it should have been by the initial factory settings on the R being very much on the firm side. This may have been a consequence of reports that the shock on the standard bike felt vague when ridden at speed. The R suspension is an improvement on the standard, but new owners must be prepared to work on the settings for optimum road use - it is not unknown for Rs to have different adjustment on each fork when leaving the showroom.  Be prepared to use that adjustability and you will be rewarded. On both bikes, riders have commented that the front feels better than the rear, but much more so on the standard bike.  The latter's suspension can be improved, on the front with re-worked internals, and on the rear by replacement............. However, the suspension you need on your bike depends very much on application. If you ride steadily on reasonable roads, you may find that the OE suspension on the standard model suffices.

As far as the brakes are concerned, there really is no contest. It isn't that the two piston sliding callipers on the standard bike are poor - especially given decent pads and proper maintenance. But the R's four pot radials are excellent, giving loads of feel and allowing the rider to confidently trail into corners. Standard is fine: but the R has an definite advantage in the anchor department.

How does all this translate in terms of performance?  On one track test, the standard bike was timed fractionally faster with the same rider, but beware of a literal interpretation of that outcome. The respective state of the tyres, for example, could have been a factor. And the standard bike's ergonomics may have suited that particular rider - who knows.  It should also not be forgotten that it is the R posting very respectable times on the WSBK under-card race series. But the fact remains, the gap isn't vast.  The one that feels right for you is the wise choice, but as ever finances will play their part.

There was a time when the differential was a maximum of 500, depending on the deal.  All other things being equal, that made the R a no brainer for many. But times change, and the gap has increased.  Which means that comparatively, the R is less of a good deal than it was.  Putting that to one side, most people will know which is the one after test riding, which is absolutely essential. Your call.

Owner of CarbonFBR, for a peek at some carbon goodness please visit www.CarbonFBR.com, FB at https://www.facebook.com/motorcyclecarbonfiber or Twitter at https://twitter.com/CarbonFBRdotcom

Offline Bel

• Street Triple God
  • Topic Author
Had time to read Nikko's post from start to finish.

So a few points that important to me on this subject:

1. Do a test ride back to back with the ST and STR before deciding! Afterwards come tell us about the result.
2. If colour and finance is playing a role in the decision then you probably have made your mind up 90% before you stepped into the showroom. Still do a comparison test ride.
3. Do test ride!

So that's my input into this subject.  :008:

Now get out there  :305:  :410:
Owner of CarbonFBR, for a peek at some carbon goodness please visit www.CarbonFBR.com, FB at https://www.facebook.com/motorcyclecarbonfiber or Twitter at https://twitter.com/CarbonFBRdotcom

Offline Jarse

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: XC12, Scrambler, STR
  • City / Town: Aberdeenshire
I do like the Street Triple, but then, I do like the Street Triple R too.

But which is best?

Offline jcp

• Non Active
  • "On the rocks"
  • Bike: Striple+
  • City / Town: St Albans
Nikko has impressively summarised the differences between the two Striples.
I accept entirely that there are advantages to the "r" which he has identified in the adjustable suspension and the brakes.
The disadvantages are price,at least when new, and the feel of the slightly higher riding position. That is utterly dependent on a test ride to compare them.
I find the standard suits me ideally and so people should be aware that a change to the rear shock- I have the Nitron- substantially improved mine and it may be superior to the "r" shock, it is certainly lighter.
As to the brakes no-one should imagine the standard brakes are in any way short of stopping power. I cannot comment on them if neglected and it is to be hoped no forum member would allow that to occur. As to their feel and control for me the Pazzo shortie levers have made that easier.
Since the bikes have the same power and overall style I suspect the answer may often depend on appearance-about which there are no rules only taste.
A standard with some uprating will still leave enough cash to be significant often enough to pay a years insurance and quite a bit of petrol.

If it ain't broke....fiddle with it until it is!
If I were any more "Street" I'd be homeless.

Offline ponny

• Street Triple Member
  • The Force Is Strong In This One
Ordered my str totally on looks as I wanted the matt grey.
Yes it has more powerful brakes and adjustable suspension but as a normal road rider they don't really make a difference.
Ride postion when I tested them was so slight could not feel the difference.

Offline ozzer76

• Street Triple Pro
Re: Triple v Triple R - thoughts?
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 11:27:59 PM »
Boswell10 on here has just test ridden an 'R' after owning a standard for the last 12 months.  He says the difference is amazing. 

For the extra 500 I cannot understand why you would not want better brakes and adjustable suspension.

Best ride both one after the other for a good hour or so. 

As it happens, I've just sold my STR.  Never ridden the standard but I can say I loved the 'R' to bits.  I will miss that bike but I now have a new Daytona to take my mind of things.

Will keep an eye on this site though and maybe one day I will pick myself up another Street!
Ride it like you stole it! 
(ozzer76 does not condone stealing other peoples bikes)

Offline peatrich

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: STR 2010 Black/gold
  • City / Town: Sheffield
If you have any other 500's you aren't using I will pm you my address mate :001:

Offline bark3138

• Street Triple Pro
New R
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 07:03:44 AM »
Been pondering  getting a R over my standard ST, finally decided to go for it so traded in the wifes bike in part ex !!  :002:   Her suggestion, so she could nab my CB thou for herself, which is cool with me as the ST / ST R tick's more boxes for me.
Result !!
 :031:

Offline Bel

• Street Triple God
  • Topic Author
Re: New R
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 08:17:18 AM »
Your title suggested you went with the faster option  :008:

Congratulations, you have a new baby STR!

Offline jcp

• Non Active
  • "On the rocks"
  • Bike: Striple+
  • City / Town: St Albans
Re: New R
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 02:29:35 PM »
Sorry to disagree with you bel- neither the title nor the post says whther or not bark has chosen the faster option since he has not said that his new bike is black. :007:
If it ain't broke....fiddle with it until it is!
If I were any more "Street" I'd be homeless.

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat