Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: CBR600RR shock  (Read 33910 times)

Offline Eciton

• Street Triple Pro
Re: CBR600RR shock
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 04:16:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by iandcunningham [+]
More importantly, is it safe to assume that the CBR600RR shocks will be better than the stock non-R Street Triple shock?

If it isn't then Honda should pack up and go home  :008:

I was asking for that one, wasn't I?  :008:

Offline denthnpalevw

• Street Triple Member
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 05:55:25 PM »
well done....

i believe it's going to be a significant improvement.

Offline jcp

• Non Active
  • "On the rocks"
  • Bike: Striple+
  • City / Town: St Albans
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 06:11:37 PM »
I'm afraid I don't know whether Honda fit better standard shocks although their top spec sport 600 may well be better. What you need to know is the weight overall and front to rear weight distribution of the Honda and of the Striple to see whether it is sprung to carry the same sort of load and then consider whether the ride character is what you want. The Daytona has a different rate spring for the different stance of a sportsbike. My guess would be it might be worth a re-spring.
I have a spare Nitron supplied spring for a Striple 600x225x700 are the specs, free length, internal diameter, and rate in pounds.
That was supplied for a 13 stone (in kit) rider.
So I would expect you to need a spring of around that rate. What Honda fit is something you should be able to find out.
The other way would be to fit it and see whether you can achieve a sag reading within the range of pre-load available.
Or you could just rely on the feel of the bike on the road..........
If it ain't broke....fiddle with it until it is!
If I were any more "Street" I'd be homeless.

Offline blackstreettriple

• Street Triple God
  • City / Town: Glasgow
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 09:35:53 PM »
Knowing absolutely nothing about suspension but having owned several Honda bikes I always found the suspension to be pretty plush (especially compared to the standard ST shock and also the Daytona shock)

If folk can confirm (once their Honda shock has arrived and is fitted) that it fits AND more importantly how the ride quality is, I for one would be VERY VERY INTERESTED!

Have you noticed the RR7 onwards shocks are black with a black spring????  It would look fantastic on my bike!!!

Who says I'm all about the looks!!! :008:

Offline xJay1337

• Ex Member
  • the "troublemaker" D:
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 06:35:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by dodge [+]
U want me to come over and kick your A**e ???

I love my Honda and had Honda for years.... Be warned u.. I know where u live  :005: :005:
Haha  :008:

okay then I take it all back.  :037:

Offline Eciton

• Street Triple Pro
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 08:33:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by jcp [+]
I'm afraid I don't know whether Honda fit better standard shocks although their top spec sport 600 may well be better. What you need to know is the weight overall and front to rear weight distribution of the Honda and of the Striple to see whether it is sprung to carry the same sort of load and then consider whether the ride character is what you want. The Daytona has a different rate spring for the different stance of a sportsbike. My guess would be it might be worth a re-spring.
I have a spare Nitron supplied spring for a Striple 600x225x700 are the specs, free length, internal diameter, and rate in pounds.
That was supplied for a 13 stone (in kit) rider.
So I would expect you to need a spring of around that rate. What Honda fit is something you should be able to find out.
The other way would be to fit it and see whether you can achieve a sag reading within the range of pre-load available.
Or you could just rely on the feel of the bike on the road..........

I did a little Googling yesterday and the CBR is ~156kg dry, so a bit lighter than the Striple, but not sure about weight distribution. To be honest, I was just going to fit it, check sag, and try it out on a familiar route. I had to crank the stock shock's preload right up to get near a decent sag and it still throws me out of my seat over any bump, so I'll be satisfied with any improvement.

I figure that the CBR's shock (which got good reviews, but then the mags liked the Street's suspension too) has at least got preload/compression/rebound adjustment, so I can almost certainly pay someone to make it a better fit for me too!

Offline Steffydog

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: 2015 ST'RX
  • City / Town: East London/Essex
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 08:36:36 AM »
I think at the price your talking about it's well worth a punt, can always stick it back up for sale.
Street Triple RX 2015
Daytona 675 2008 Track toy

Offline Eciton

• Street Triple Pro
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 09:11:44 AM »
Bit more info for the record:

Weights vary across the internet, but it seems the 2007 CBR600RR has a wet weight of 415 lbs (188 kg).
Street Triple has a wet weight of 416 lbs.

CBR has a 51.2% front bias on the weight distribution with a full tank.

Can't find a weight distribution for the Street.

Can't find any info on the stock spring specs for the CBR.

Offline jcp

• Non Active
  • "On the rocks"
  • Bike: Striple+
  • City / Town: St Albans
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 10:43:23 AM »
Good work! The weights are pretty damn close and the distribution cannot be so different. Sounds like a very worthwhile project and may be a straight fit and suitable.
Let us know how you get on as you may have found a sensible step up from standard for modest outlay.
I lack the skill or nerve to benefit from any sophisticated set up but found the harshness of the O/E Striple shock made a change worthwhile-you may have found something for a fraction of Nitron money!
If it ain't broke....fiddle with it until it is!
If I were any more "Street" I'd be homeless.

Offline shaun

• Street Triple God
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 03:21:12 PM »
well done Eciton,i suppose it would make a good cheap replacement for my R when that eventually needs changing.

Recent Posts/Topics